Stony Brook (WALK) - An off-duty Nassau County police officer helped uniformed cops apprehend two men who allegedly tried to rob a dessert shop in Suffolk Sunday night and are now charged in six armed hold-ups over the past week.
The officer was entering Cool Monkey Desserts on Nesconset Highway in Stony Brook when shop employees pointed out two men who had allegedly just tried to rob the store. The cop followed the two suspects and called 911, then helped responding officers capture the pair, according to Suffolk police.
Thomas Leahy, 28, of Ronkonkoma (at left in photo) and Joseph Salvia, 25, of Commack (at right in photo) are now charged with five other armed robberies or attempted robberies in recent days, including:
- January 28th at Beach Bum Tanning on Jericho Turnpike in Commack.
- January 29th at Subway on Route 111 in Hauppauge.
- February 1st at Tropical Smoothie Cafe on Larkfield Road in Elwood.
- February 1st at Dunkin Donuts on Nesconset Highway in Smithtown.
- February 2nd at Quiznos in Sunrise Highway in Bohemia.
The pair were scheduled to be arraigned yesterday at First District Court in Central Islip.