WALK Local News

 

Family Overcome with Fumes in their Car

Family Overcome with Fumes in their Car

North Amityville (WALK) - A family of four learned yesterday that carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't only happen when you're inside, and it could have cost them their lives.

The family was overcome by the potentially deadly gas while in their car, traveling through North Amityville, according to police. A man, whose name has not been released, pulled over on Parkway Avenue and called for help when he realized his family had passed out.

First responders who arrived on the scene gave oxygen to his wife and two young sons, who are 8 months old and 20 months old. They and the father were taken to a local hospital to be checked out by doctors.

Police say the family's 1999 Mitsubishi appeared to have an exhaust problem, and was pushing carbon monoxide from the engine and into the passenger compartment, instead of outside through the tailpipe. The inside of the car tested positive for the toxic gas.

Photo Credit: Jensbn/Wikimedia Commons

 

More Articles